I have a good feeling about this next release and hope to address some of the features that I’ve left incomplete for a while. I’d like 0.75 to be something special and really take the project to a new level of completeness and quality.
Everything here is subject to change but here are my initial ideas and plans for release 0.75. There is a big focus on the Dungeon as that is the overall encounter / item system I’m planning to use for ARX, though I’ve added some of the unique City features such as Charm and Trick as well as Potions that were removed or modified for the Dungeon.
Encounters, inventory and items work closely together (at least in my eyes) hence the long list below. If I could complete a lot of the items below then I would really feel I’d made significant progress with the development of the game. The heart of Alternate Reality for me has always been the encounters so it’s important to get these feeling right.
- Modify encounter frequency – Previously too frequent or not frequent enough!
- Review use of Dungeon encounter binary data file – this includes encounter weapons
- Review existing combat mechanics, damage types, influence of armour and overall balance
- Add all Dungeon encounters – Including weapons, attacks and special abilities
- Add additional Dungeon encounter tables
- Add message customisations for different types of weapon and multiple body parts
- Knock downs, disarming and stunning
- Add “Surprise” menu including Waylay, Snatch, Leave etc
- Add encounter animations
- Review all fixed encounters
- Expand the underlying item format to allow use of custom weapons, enchantments and randomised clothing items
- Review use of Dungeon item binary data file – this includes encounter weapons
- Add all unique “treasures” to the Dungeon map
- Add any treasure items that are unique to the City not included in the Dungeon set above
- Add encounter corpses (where appropriate)
Modules / Special Locations:
- The Chapel
- The Dwarven Smithy
- Separate media packs and add validation to check for media packs
Hopefully everyone will be keen to see these features completed or added to the next release. For me this will be a major release which really takes some of the core game mechanics to a whole different level. Watch this space. Comments as always welcome.
7 thoughts to “Alternate Reality X: Planning Release 0.75 – A Major release!”
excellent job!!! I can't wait to play it!!!! 😀
Just to be clear this is the NEXT release – 0.75 🙂 Release 0.74 has just come out though – the main thing 0.74 adds is the Rathskeller.
Love some of those encounter Ideas, btw since the game is one cohesive project shouldnt all the encounter routines be the same for both city/dungeon, etc?
Hi Matt, That's the way I want to go. The reason I mention the Dungeon above a lot is that some of the content types didn't exist in the original City (e.g. unique treasures, fixed encounters) and also because you currently can't encounter all the monster types of the Dungeon. All the City encounters are in there. I need to bring together some of the data between the City and Dungeon encounters.
wow. can't wait for the next version. Do you plan to make the armory the same in the city as in the dungeon?
Be nice to sell weapon and armors in the city.
Hi Formulator, Yes I do but I was considering making selling weapons and armour available through some new shops in the Arena (rather than through City smithies) and possibly through some encounters too. Selling weapons and armour will definitely be available outside of the Dungeon though. Still lots of balancing to do to make the 2 scenarios feel more cohesive.
Any idea with .75 will be released.